Saturday 31 August 2013

Chocolate heaven muffins


These delicious little chocolate treats come from the book 'weekend baking' by Sarah Randell. I actually made these a while ago but it's took me absolutely ages to get round to blogging about them. I've got a queue of treats waiting to appear on this blog, I'm just struggling to get around to publishing them all - stick with me though readers, I'll get them all blogged about eventually.

These muffins are so quick and easy  to make they can be prepared, cooked and on the table ready to eat within the hour. They are a little pricey to make compared to standard chocolate muffins due to the amount of chocolate used in them however I think they are worth the expense because after all they are chocolate heaven muffins not just chocolate muffins.

I will be honest and say I did not get  to taste these personally this is due to the fact that I made them one lunchtime for my children hoping there may be one left  over for me to taste later. I then went off to work and by the time I got home they had all gone, devoured by my two children, my nephew and my neice. They did all report back that they were delicious and my son asked me to make them again soon which means they most definitely were a hit.

These are the perfect thing to bake in the afternoon ready for when the children come home from school looking for an afternoon snack/treat. Quick, easy and most of all tasty.


The book these are from 'weekend baking' is a really good baking book full of lots of sweet treats there is everything from cakes to cookies to bars and muffins, there is also some unusual flavour combinations that I personally would never think of putting together but after trying them they do work. I've baked quite a few items from this book but these were made before I started blogging but rest assured anything I bake from now on will be photographed and documented on cakes, bakes and family cooking.

Anyway here's the recipe for chocolate heaven muffns

Chocolate heaven muffins from weekend baking by Sarah Randell

Makes 6 (however I got 8 muffins from the quantities below

Ingredients

75g butter

150g milk chocolate (the original recipe calls for 75g dark chocolate and 75g milk chocolate but I'm not a fan of dark chocolate so I never use it and always replace it with milk chocolate. However you can use whichever type of chocolate you prefer)

50g white chocolate

100g soured cream

50ml  milk

50g light muscavado or light brown soft sugar

2 large eggs

175g plain flour

2 tablespoons cocoa powder

1 tablespoon baking powder

a pinch of salt

1 tablespoon Demerara sugar

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 200c (400f) gas mark 6.

2. Melt the butter in a small pan and leave to cool slightly.

3. Chop all the chocolate into small chunks.

4. In a large mixing bowl and using a balloon whisk, whisk together the soured cream, milk, muscovado sugar, eggs and melted butter.

5. Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder. Sprinkle in the salt and add all the chopped chocolate. Using a large metal spoon, fold everything together until combined, but do not over mix.

6. Divide the mixture between the muffin cases. Sprinkle each muffin with a little Demerara sugar. Bake the muffins in the preheated oven for 20 minutes - by which time they will be risen, but still very slightly unset in the middle. They will continue to cook as they cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment