Monday 28 October 2013

Peanut butter flapjacks


Flapjacks are so quick and easy to make, they are the perfect treat to make for lunchboxes or for an after school snack. My favourite recipe for flapjacks is from Rachel Allen's Food for living, actually it's the only flapjack recipe I use, I've yet to try another one as I am satisfied with them (I will definitely do a blog post on them next time I bake them). However I felt like trying something a little different this time, peanut butter is always a hit in my house so I thought I would try adding it to my flapjacks.

Peanut butter flapjacks (adapted from Rachel Allen's flapjack recipe from Rachel's food for living) - makes at least 20 but number will vary depending on how big or small you cut your squares)

Ingredients
175g unsalted butter
175g smooth peanut butter
2 very generous tablespoons of golden syrup
175g soft light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
75g plain flour
375g porridge oats

1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees/gas mark 4 and line your baking tin with greaseproof paper.

2.  Put your butter, peanut butter, golden syryup, sugar and vanilla extract into a large pan and melt over a low heat until simmering, I'd recommend you keep stirring the mixture to help the butter melt down and to ensure the mixture doesnt burn.

3. When you have a smooth mixture remove from the heat and stir in the flour and the porridge oats, give it a really good mix and then pour into your prepared tin.

4. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until they become golden brown. Place on a wire rack to cool, while cooling I usually slightly score into squares in preparation to be cut properly once completely cool.




My verdict on these flapjacks were that they definitely tasted of peanut butter and while we all enjoyed them, I felt they were a little dry and definitely not as moist as they normally are. I would make these again but I think I need to maybe cut the amount of peanut butter to make them moister.


No comments:

Post a Comment